Monday, April 18, 2011

21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership

The area of Leadership has become one of my favorite subjects during the past three decades of my life. I have been blessed by great leadership around me, being surrounded by role models like my parents, grandmothers, aunts, uncles, school professors, Sunday school teachers and many other mentors from different walks of life.  Given the ongoing and fast pace changes in the world, more organizations and individuals are increasing their level of awareness in this critical area.  Today, more than ever, success is a function of leadership. As Dr. John C. Maxwell says: 'Everything rises and fall on leadership".  I have read and researched many books in this subject and have become a student of leadership. One of my favorite gurus in this area is John Maxwell. He has written many books about how to be an effective leader and more importantly, how to develop those around you. He has sold more than 19 million copies in multiple languages and has been an influence in equipping and multiplying leaders around the globe . Over a month ago, I started a journey of learning more about the Maxwell philosophy and we are currently discussing about his 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership.
As I keep discovering more truths in this subject, I am also learning how to live the laws and how to lead others to these laws.
The first one we have studied is the Law of the Lid. It states that "Leadership ability determines a person's level of effectiveness". Maxwell establishes that the level of our organization or business cannot be higher than our level of leadership. Let's say that on the scale from 1 to 10, I rate myself on a level 5 in my leadership ability, that determines my lid. Meaning that my organization or team, will not grow or go beyond a level 4. It always stops 1 level below my leadership ability. If I want to increase my results to a level 7, my ability to lead needs to go to a level 8.  This law requires me to raise my level of effectiveness in leading others, before expecting better results.
Are you finding yourself stuck in your ability to help your team grow to a higher level?
Do you want more from your team? Feeling frustrated by not achieving the levels of performance and results you have established at the beginning of the year?
Whether I like it or not, or, whether I believe or not in this law, it's a law. Just like the law of gravity, if a jump from an airplane, I am going to fall.
Our accomplishments are a direct function of our ability to lead others.
How can we raise our level of leadership, how can we move our lid up?
Reflect each day, spend time with self as part of your daily discipline, evaluating past experiences and asking yourself: How could I have done it better?.
What do I need to "stop doing"? What do I need to "start doing" ?
Surround yourself with people stronger than you. Be part of a Mastermind Group. If you find yourself as the smartest and strongest person in your current group, you need to go and find another group.
Do you want to increase your level of leadership and enjoy greater results and influence?
Do your research, find a mentor and hire the right coach. It's time to invest in YOU.
At the end of the day, the first person you lead, is You! Think about it...

2 comments:

  1. LOVE THE LAW OF THE LID! THE CHALLENGING PART FOR ME IS THAT I CAN'T SEE MY LID BEFORE I BREAK THRU IT. SO I HAVE TO SPEND A LOT OF TIME IN PRAYER AND INTROSPECTION BEFORE THE ANSWER COMES TO ME. WHEN IT REVEALS ITSELF IT IS HUGE! THANKS FOR YOUR BLOG JL... IT IS AWESOME LIKE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michelle, some tips I've learned to raise our lid:Find a mastermind group, hire a coach or mentor, value experience with reflection, who has been a lid lifter in your life and what attributes they have?

    ReplyDelete