Monday, April 25, 2011

21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership

I believe it was back in 2004 when I first heard the quote from John Maxwell: " Leadership is influence, nothing more, nothing less". This thought takes us to the Law of Influence. I am sure you are familiar with instances in your life when you met individuals and organizations who believed leadership was associated with a position or a title.  The world has been filled with sad stories where power was the only element that drove what it was so-called leadership. Gladly, we have also been blessed by great examples of what true leadership is, individuals who drove their leadership with their influence. Mother Theresa, Nelson Mandela, Ronald Reagan, Billy Graham, among others. They represented Leadership and Influence as a function of their own example and lifestyle. During the 80s,  there was an escalating myth referring leadership as the same as management. Management is more about knowing what to do, getting the job done, taking a project to its completion. Managers have played an important role in the evolution of all industries. Managers are critical in any organization. I believe the world needs great managers.
Also, I strongly believe the world needs Great Leaders. When talking about true Leadership, it takes a different skill sets, it's about influencing others on what to do.  Leaders lead by example, they are often the ones upfront, showing the way, knowing the way, and not getting there alone. True leaders get to the top in the company of others, otherwise, if no one is with them, they are just having a walk.
I remember a time where I was not happy about my performance. My team was not delivering the results I needed. I naturally started blaming others and complaining about my team, I was sharing my frustrations with a leader, in regards to my team. Their lack of commitment. Being tired of asking and telling them the things they were supposed to do. Their apathy had taken me to a horrible state of mind and I was at a point of almost quitting my business. Then, I was prompted with some powerful questions: " Who is their leader?  Who is influencing them? What is the greatest and closest example they can follow? So goes the leader, so goes the pack.
At our discussions about this law, there was a discovery that struck me. I must admit that for years, I have been striving to influence those in my team, paying most attention to my organization and peers, and not so much in being an influence to myself and to those leading me.
Our facilitator asked us to draw a circle, writing down 5 arrows, one South, referring to those we lead, arrows to left and right, that is West and East, representing our peers and colleagues. An arrow up North, that is our leaders or Up Lines,  and another arrow circling the middle, which is us.
I came to the conclusion that my ability to lead others is a direct function of leading up and leading self. I am asking you:
How well are you leading you? How are you leading up? How would you rate your ability to influence those above you?
How would you rate yourself in your ability to influence your Up Line, your supervisor, your leaders?
" The first person you lead is you" John Maxwell

No comments:

Post a Comment